This seems mostly OK for me on both of my machines (one Intel 945GM, and
the other is Radeon HD4350 with open drivers).

On the Intel one, there is a small band of pixel droppings around the left and
bottom of the window that is a bit odd; but the contents are fine.
(Radeon setup is Kubuntu, Intel is classic Gnome with compiz).

l8gravely: Can you say what graphics hardware you've got, whether you're using
compiz or metacity and anything else about the graphics setup you'd think might
be interesting.

Dave

which is subscribed to xterm in ubuntu.

  resizing xterm larger causes corruption onscreen and in terminal