Based on your latest findings and how they differ from your original
symptoms, it sounds a lot like you're having a new bug unrelated to your
original one.  For instance, SSH worked previously (which is typical
with X freezes), but this time you lost SSH (which typically indicates a
kernel freeze of some sort).  The original one sounds like a pretty bog
standard X freeze with compiz enabled that was unfortunately quite
common on Jaunty but now is largely solved.  Also, I would refer you to
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting, which has some guides for
debugging X freezes and other issues.

Because of this I'm going to close this bug report.  If you can
reproduce the new issue with fully updated Karmic, please report a new
bug against the linux kernel.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

--
[i915gm] Xorg infinite loop, backtrace thru synaptics driver
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.