it's not about saving space it's about packaging it correctly
Currently the dependencies do not depend on ati, from what you've described ati
is needed so
1) is the simplest solution as xerver-xorg-video-7 and xserver-xorg-video-all
do not depend on the specific drivers but on ati to function correctly
2) is not plausible
3) not only saves 400KB and makes the packaging work correctly, but also allows
the ati drivers to follow the same model as the rest of the drivers

Removing nvida or intel drivers doesn't save much space either, but they
are packaged correctly anyway.

Note: perhaps my wording for the orginal report was unclear when i say
remove radeon,r128,mach64 I meant to remove the dependency on them,
below is an explanation of exactly what i mean

solution 1 (literally 3 lines of changes)
As the radeon,r128,mach64 drivers do not provide full drivers from
radeon,r128,mach64 remove the following line in debian/control:
Provides: ${xviddriver:Provides}

solution 3a (done the without extra packages)
from radeon,r128,mach64 remove the following line in debian/control:
Provides: ${xviddriver:Provides}
then change the depends and dbg-depends in ati to be
Depends:
 ${shlibs:Depends},
 ${misc:Depends},
 ${xviddriver:Depends},
 ( xserver-xorg-video-r128, xserver-xorg-video-mach64,
xserver-xorg-video-radeon ) | xserver-xorg-video-r128 |
xserver-xorg-video-mach64 | xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Depends:
 ${misc:Depends},
 xserver-xorg-video-ati (= ${binary:Version}),
 ( xserver-xorg-video-r128-dbg, xserver-xorg-video-mach64-dbg,
xserver-xorg-video-radeon-dbg ) | xserver-xorg-video-r128-dbg |
xserver-xorg-video-mach64-dbg | xserver-xorg-video-radeon-dbg

solution 3b (done the with 2 extra packages)
from radeon,r128,mach64 replace the following line in debian/control:
Provides: ${xviddriver:Provides}
with
Provides: xserver-xorg-video-ati-any

then change the depends and dbg-depends in ati to be
Depends:
 ${shlibs:Depends},
 ${misc:Depends},
 ${xviddriver:Depends},
 xserver-xorg-video-ati-all | xserver-xorg-video-ati-any

Depends:
 ${misc:Depends},
 xserver-xorg-video-ati (= ${binary:Version}),
 xserver-xorg-video-ati-all-dbg | xserver-xorg-video-ati-any-dbg

And in xserver-xorg-video-ati define xserver-xorg-video-ati-all and
xserver-xorg-video-ati-all-dbg as
Package: xserver-xorg-video-ati-all
Architecture: any
Depends:
 xserver-xorg-video-ati,
 xserver-xorg-video-mach64,
 xserver-xorg-video-r128,
 xserver-xorg-video-radeon
 This package provides the 'ati' driver for the AMD/ATI Mach64, Rage128,
 Radeon, FireGL, FireMV, FirePro and FireStream series. This package
 pulls in the sub drivers for 'mach64', 'r128' and 'radeon'

 This package is built from the X.org xf86-video-ati driver module.

Package: xserver-xorg-video-ati-all-dbg
Architecture: any
Depends:
 xserver-xorg-video-ati-dbg,
 xserver-xorg-video-mach64-dbg,
 xserver-xorg-video-r128-dbg,
 xserver-xorg-video-radeon-dbg
symbols)
 This package provides the 'ati' driver for the AMD/ATI Mach64, Rage128,
 Radeon, FireGL, FireMV, FirePro and FireStream series. This package
 pulls in the sub drivers for 'mach64', 'r128' and 'radeon'

 This package is built from the X.org xf86-video-ati driver module.

Note that none of the above changes affect the auto-dependency system as they
only edit the explicitly defined dependencies
for cleanness of dependencies I would also change xserver-xorg-video-all to not
list radeon,r128,mach64 as they are not real drivers, but as i couldn't get
hold of the control file I don't know how easy this would be

I can remake the changes as patches if i would make things easier.
I noticed I introduced some circular dependencies, in 3b and did something
weird in the syntax of 3a, I'm not familiar enough with the debian build system
to know if I did these right, so you may want to correct them or give me a
while to learn and test these changes

In summary, this bug is a real bug that can lead to xorg breakage and
can be easily solved with solution 1 or correctly solved with solution
3b.

which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.

  xerver-xorg-video-ati dependancies need changing