(seems like i'm just talking to myself...) Tried hooking up external
monitor and booting from kernel 2.6.35-27 .. worked fine. laptop display
shows, external monitor display shows. close lid, suspend, open lid,
resume, everything still fine.  BUT .. remove the external monitor
(while still booted): laptop displays great. but then close lid ->
suspend; open lid -> resume, and backlight briefly on but then gets
turned off (display barely visible with bright flashlight). Hook up
external monitor again, click System>preferences>monitors, and voila,
display's backlight is turned on while mirroring displays with external
monitor.  This should be a very very easy fix .. could some one fix it
please???

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.

  When i upgraded to 10.10 the screen on my laptop(Gateway nv79) went
  completely black and I could not see anything unless I held a
  flashlight to the screen to see. The only way I am able to fix this is
  issue is by doing a system test. But as soon as my laptop goes to
  sleep it goes back to the black screen. I could not find another fix
  because once I did the system testing for 10.10 it would not allow me
  to do the testing again to fix it.