Digging deeper into indicator-applet it appears this code just responds
to the size request that the indicator makes, which should be perfectly
ample.

I doubt there is a way to detect indicator side if you're unity2d or
unity3d particularly easily, and even then I wouldn't really want to
special case the size stuff for one over the other.

The effected code appears to be in indicator-datetime.c,
guess_label_size.

I'll poke at this particular function and test some things and see what
kinds of results I get.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Part of the time appears cut off when displaying the day of the week
  and date