I looked at the grub changes a little closer. I think it's just falling
back to text mode by accident. It's looking for a blacklist file that
isn't there, and when it can't find the file it uses text mode. If I
install grub-gfx-payload-lists it goes back to graphical mode. The
upstream guys say that the graphical handoff should be able to work.

I'm setting the status back to triaged. It's looking likely the problem
might be in the kernel though, so I'm going to take a closer look at
what's going on in the driver to see if I can figure anything out.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

  Graphics corruption after hibernate with Intel GMA 3150 chipset