Hi, I also met this problem.
My computer is HP 1018TU, with Sandy Bridge I5-2410M CPU and integrated HD 3000
graphics card. I know that old Ubuntu release don't support this graphics
chip-set, so that install Natty beta. But it often crash. Weather I enable 3D
effect or not. I've tried use 'Ubuntu Classic' desktop, 'Ubuntu Safe Mode'
desktop, and even 'LXDE'. This happened in all these three desktop environment.
If you need any log files or analysis assistant, please email me at:  gzhechu
_AT_ gmail _DOT_ com
Here I attached some files which generated by hardinfo program.

** Attachment added: "hardware information of my computer"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/740593/+attachment/1995909/+files/hwinfo.tar.gz

  [sandybridge-m-gt2 ] GPU lockup