There's two different mechanisms for multitouch support in Natty: the X
synaptics module, and the uTouch framework.

The X synaptics module uses multitouch only for simple tasks like two
finger scrolling and two tap right click. There's no functionality in
the module for two finger pinch support

The uTouch framework provides gesture support, but the only gestures
supported out of the box in Natty are Unity gestures. In Unity, there
aren't any two finger gestures.

Given these uses of multitouch, I can't figure out what multitouch input
was working for you before, and what's not working now. For example, two
finger pinch has never done anything out of the box in Ubuntu. Maybe
you're a developer and using uTouch?

I guess the main question I have is: what actions were you able to
perform through gestures before, so we can determine which part of the
stack is not working properly.

BTW, wacom products don't support any more than two touches at a time.

which is subscribed to xf86-input-wacom in Ubuntu.

  Touchscreen not detected as multi-input