It's not something we can fix at the distro level.  NVIDIA provided
xserver 1.10 support in their main driver but not the legacy drivers.

This bug report can serve for tracking this regression but there is no
work that can be done at this level to solve it.  Given how little time
remains before release I'm not sure NVIDIA will be distributing fixed
drivers in time; if not, we'll distribute them via the x-updates PPA
post-release if/when they do become available.  Meanwhile, the
workaround is to use nouveau, fbdev, or vesa.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 in Ubuntu.

  [natty] nvidia binary packages for older cards - dependencies not met