Hi feffemannen, yes there are two other things to test:

a.  Install this patched X driver, which attempts to force on DPMS from
the X side of things:

https://launchpad.net/~bryce/+archive/elderberry

b.  Test against the Intel experimental drm kernel tree, which we now do
daily builds of:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/drm-intel-next-proposed/

(a) is a bit of a long shot; I've had others test it and so far it
doesn't seem to help, but you never know.  With (b) even if it still
fails, that is at least helpful data since we can then take this issue
upstream more easily.

  [Arrandale] Blank screen when booting with external monitor (x86_64)