I upgraded xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xorg-core-dbg and xserver-common
to the version on the xorg-edgers PPA. When pressing F12, the figure
rendered in its window instead of in the upper left corner of the
monitor. I guess it will do the same for you and the bug as originally
described should thereby be fixed when the updated xserver hits Karmic.

However, the menus didn't render at all, so blender is far from usable
with the updated packages. I also added the xorg-edgers PPA and apt-get
dist-upgrade'd so that I would have the latest version of all the
packages. The menus still didn't render. The interface also seemed quite
a bit slower.

--
[i945] Displacement between Blender render window and content.
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.