More debugging on karmic:

/etc/acpi/events/asus-wireless

is the event that is responsible. I looked into

/etc/acpi/asus-wireless.sh

and found that somewhere in toggleAllWirelessStates() the video
configuration is destroyed. This method is imported from /usr/share
/acpi-support/state-funcs

Thus, I am assigning this bug to acpi-support.

** Package changed: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu) => acpi-support (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- [i915] dualscreen: some screen stays dark after suspend/resume via lid (KMS)
+ [i915] dualscreen: video config is destroyed by suspending via lid (KMS)

--
[i915] dualscreen: video config is destroyed by suspending via lid (KMS)
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.