Oh no, I just realized you are on amd64... I was building i386 modules
:(

I am not going to cross-compile for amd64, but I will attach the patch
here in case someone else is willing to do it.

Otherwise, you can also try booting a i386 live CD to see if the issue
is the same there. In that case, you can boot with "radeon.nonsense=1"
to block the normal radeon module, then insmod my module. But then you
need to acquire the dmesg output afterwards, either by installing
openssh-server and setting a password for the "ubuntu" live user and
logging in from another computer, or by mounting a hard drive, and
running "sleep 60; dmesg > /media/your-harddrive-ID/dmesg.txt" on
another virtual console so that it gets written to your harddrive (or
memory stick).

If this is too much for you, that's ok, we'll just have to wait and see
if someone else can contribute.

** Patch added: "(upstreamable) patch to get more debug information"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/755715/+attachment/2092050/+files/0001-drm-radeon-Print-out-gart-initialization-details-for.patch

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  [RV670] radeon 3870 X2 gives black screen if using extended desktop