Incorrect. Not fixed as of 2:2.8.0-0ubuntu1

In addition, I can't even seem to install the older 2.4 version over the top
anymore, so now I'm stuck with this buggy driver. Very frustrating when I'm
trying to work.
Bryce, is it at all possible to put the old intel driver in the official ubuntu
repos? Perhaps call it xserver-xorg-video-intel-old or something. This is
getting ridiculous.

This driver should never have been released as stable without testing on
all hardware it supposedly supports, and if it was released as unstable,
it should have never found it's way into ubuntu without an alternative.

--
[i855] X freezing on intel 855GM
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.