As far as I can tell, this isn't a regression because it *didn't* work
under 10.10 and isn't expected to work until the nvidia drivers support
XRandR 1.2.

As for why it won't be fixed: it won't be fixed because we can't
(reasonably) fix it.  We don't have the source code for the binary
drivers, so we can't (reasonably) fix bugs in them.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Failed to detect second monitor (no XRandR 1.2 support)