@itismike
Well, it might be sort of related. I'm pretty sure it worked when I booted from
the live CD (as did the screen backlight keys, but I'm not sure it was using
nvidia at the time), so something is different from that state and it may well
be that the difference is the SHMConfig flag. If so, it makes fair sense that
without SHMConfig the syndaemon will be unable to adjust the touchpad.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  syndaemon sometimes fails to disable the touchpad