Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-intel

This bug was previously reported, That bug has been closed with a
backported patch. the patch that is working for many users has no effect
on the system I am having issues with. PC boots to blank screen,
occasionally to recovery screen. I can get a GUI in failsafeX graphics,
but have to do multiple hard reboots to get there. This is not endemic
to 11.04, The PC in question will not render a GUI reliably with any
Ubuntu above 8.10

Dell GX-60, intel i915 video chipset. I have tried the various other
drivers, and ppa's. If I could just change the GRUB or maybe the initial
scripts to go ahead and boot into failsafeX that would be fine. the box
in Question doesn't need anything fancy for GUI, just a GUI.

Thanks

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

  Intel i915 embedded: Patch didn't work 9.10, 10.10, 11.04