I've noticed this also on my system (Ubuntu Natty, running Ubuntu
Classic no effects without Compiz). I have a Dell 1420 laptop with an
Intel video 'card' ("Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated
Graphics Controller" according to Hardinfo). I notice it in the classic
Gnome panels a lot, where parts of the panels became darkened. I have
attached some screenshots showing different instances of it happening
(the corruption is the dark parts; the missing white parts are editing
on my part).

** Attachment added: "Screenshot-top-panel-corruption.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/781983/+attachment/2130473/+files/Screenshot-top-panel-corruption.png

  Screen becomes corrupted under normal usage