If people really want progress, the Ubuntu devs have nothing to do with
it at the moment.  nvidia-96 is the proprietary driver from Nvidia.
Until Nvidia releases a xorg 1.10 compatible version (as they have for
2xx+ and 173 series, Ubuntu can't really do anything (that I know of)
except providing some sort of alternate older version of xorg, which
would probably create a huge number of problems.

So, contact Nvidia if you want progress.  After they release the driver,
THEN it's up to the Ubuntu devs to get it packaged for Ubuntu.

All that being said...I wish Nvidia would hurry up with that driver, I
want 11.04 working for me as well!

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 in Ubuntu.

  [natty] nvidia binary packages for older cards - dependencies not met