I have marked the task about the nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 package as
invalid because this bug is caused by a problem in Jockey. In the
present report, the graphic drivers are enabled and probably work, but
the Additional Drivers window still says that the drivers are not being
used. If you -- or someone else -- have any other problem with the
proprietary Nvidia drivers, please report it as a different bug. I'm
sorry that I did not add this comment before because I wanted to limit
the number of comments that did not directly serve to fix the current
issue.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 in Ubuntu.

  nVidia driver activated and apparently being used but reported as not
  being used by jockey-gtk