same thing for me in LinuxMint 11 Katya.

But I searched my system and Launchpad and found in my Synaptic, that
the package nvidia-current-modaliases is a dependency of nvidia-
current!! But: nvidia-current and nvidia-current-modaliases have two
completely different version-numbers. In my Synaptic, nvidia-current-
modaliases has version-number 260.19.26-0-ubuntu1~xup. In contrary to
this, nvidia-current has this version number:
270.41.19-0ubuntu1~xup~natty.

So I suggest, the package nvidia-current-modaliases should be put to the
same version-number as nvidia-current as it is a direct dependency of
the package nvidia-current!!! Please fix this up!!!

which is a direct subscriber.

  nvidia drivers activated but not in use on natty 11.04