I have not had a crash since I installed xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
1.3.99+git20110116.0e27ce3a-0ubuntu12.1 almost a week ago. I have been
running Unity with plenty of effects and chromium, which used to make it
crash. People that are still having crashes after installing the
proposed update must have a different bug than I did. Thanks so much to
the dev team that figured this nasty bug out.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  xserver crashes in RecordAReply when XRecord is enabled in syndaemon