"Is it worth booting a natty liveCD and seeing if I can reproduce it
there?"

Probably not; we're no where near identifying what package was bugged,
let alone have a patch identified, so at this point a backport to natty
is looking unlikely.  However, I'll open a natty task in case anyone
would like to do the legwork of chasing down the patch and proposing it
for an SRU.  (First isolate which package contains the fix by
selectively upgrading packages to the oneiric versions, then do a git
bisect on that package to pinpoint the patch that fixed it; then see the
StableReleaseUpdates wiki page for directions on how to file SRUs.)

Since we've not heard from Martin, I'm going to go ahead and assume your
findings are true that this is fixed in oneiric and close out this bug
report; if anyone does see the bug in oneiric please open a new report
(ubuntu-bug xorg) so we have updated logs and such.  (Reference this bug
report if you're certain it's the same issue.)

** Also affects: unity (Ubuntu Natty)

** Also affects: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu Natty)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  [RS880] graphical corruption in launcher (Solid grey rectangles over
  icon text and window borders)