Yes, I did that and it generated the following xorg.conf file:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder75)  Sun Jul 17
23:48:28 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

[CUT....]

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Cedric Schieli <cschi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @judsonmitchell
>
> You should now be able to run nvidia-xconfig as root
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/741930
>
> Title:
>  [natty] nvidia binary packages for older cards - dependencies not met
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 in Ubuntu.

  [natty] nvidia binary packages for older cards - dependencies not met