Could you please expand on how palm detection is unreliable? I agree
that setting a two second delay sucks as a general cure for wandering
hands and fingers, but as far as I know the PalmMinZ/PalmMinWidth (I
think those are correct) and general touch sensitivity settings still
work--or are they the underlying issue now? The touchpad's detection
above the surface is normal behavior, but it is a settings failure that
causes it to not filter out these very light changes in capacitance as
clicks. Turning syndaemon or just palm checking on or off without
specifying these values for the particular device, as a few of you have
mentioned, probably isn't going to help.

I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to actually code, but I
think a few sliders attached to a small graphical control system to
change these sensitivity values would be the most acceptable solution,
as touchpads seem to vary entirely too much between software and
hardware implementations for a single setting to work for everyone (per
ALPS and Synaptics' page, they actually intend for OEM's to customize
their devices, although how much of this lies in the hard- and software
realms I can't say).

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  syndaemon sometimes fails to disable the touchpad