I had this same problem with the Dell Studio 1555. You need to boot
into recovery mode and reinstall the proprietary ATI drivers.

It worked like a charm after that, but if you would really like to downgrade:
sudo apt-get upgrade

should downgrade the two packages

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 8:58 AM, internaut<m...@mako-home.de> wrote:
> Bug confirmed on Dell Studio 1555 with ATI Radeon HD 4570.
>
> I tried the patch from the PPA, but it resulted in a blank screen after
> bootup... I wanted to reinstall the unpatched version from Ubuntu, but it
> doesn't work! I commented out the deb entries in the sources.list, made an
> apt-get update and tried "sudo aptitude reinstall xserver-common
> xserver-xorg-core" but it keeps saying me:
> "E: I wasn't able to locate file for the xserver-common package. This might
> mean you need to manually fix this package.
> E: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download"
>
> What can I do? I'm really stuck here!
>
> --
> [M76] [ubuntu 9.04] slow unminimizing with ati card and desktop effects
> enabled
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/351186
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “fglrx-installer” package in Ubuntu: Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> [updated]
> Since the new version of ubuntu/kubuntu (9.04 jaunty) a new bug occurs with
> ATI cards and desktop effects enabled.
> With fglrx driver, the unminimizing of windows is really slow ... it can take
> from 1 to 3 seconds.
> Also, the maximizing, unmaximizing and Alt+Tab present the same problem.
> The opening of a window present the same bug, freezing the system for 1sec.
> This bug is under both gnome and kde (4.2.1)
>
> (I have an ATI HD2600 Mobility Pro )
>

> [lspci]
> 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory
> Controller Hub [8086:2a00] (rev 03)
>        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:011e]
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc M76 [Radeon
> Mobility HD 2600 Series] [1002:9581]
>        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:011e]

--
[M76] [ubuntu 9.04] slow unminimizing with ati card and desktop effects enabled
which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in ubuntu.