I've tried it on Dell N5110 with the Alps touchpad and upon running rmmod
modprobe Ubuntu froze and I had to reboot. Once it rebooted, there was a
cursor, but I couldn't move it. I plugged in a USB mouse and tried to adjust
settings under the Pointing/Mouse window, but I couldn't see any entry for
the touchpad. I then tried it again, first removing the module with dpkg -r,
rebooting and then installing it again - in all further instances the system
crashed. I wasn't able to get to dmesg as of each reboot it would not
contain any information about 'psmouse' or 'alps'. Happy to run more tests
if needed. Thank you for your work.

On 1 September 2011 23:30, Seth Forshee <seth.fors...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>  functionality present in previous Ubuntu releases is now missing.
>
>  Regression Potential: Since this is a revert of a one-line device id,
>  the regression potential is minimal. The device should fall back to
>  ImPS/2 protocol without issue.
>
>  =====
>
>  Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
>
>  I have Ubuntu 9.10 and an Alps touchpad (E7: 73 02 64). Chase fixed
>  the kernel so that it was recognized  and, indeed, the touchpad shows
>  up in both gsynaptics and system>preferences>mouse, but when I
>  actually try to adjust the settings nothing changes. My goal is to
>  disable the tap-to-click feature or disable the touchpad when typing.
>  Chase suggests it may be something related to the driver and to open
>  another bug.
>
>  ProblemType: Bug
>  Architecture: i386
>  Date: Sun Mar 28 22:02:25 2010
>  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
>  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
>  MachineType: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dm3 Notebook PC
>  Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.1.2-1ubuntu7
>  ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-21-generic
> root=UUID=f1e2e19e-a0f8-407d-9533-c5ba95a8be50 ro quiet splash
>  ProcEnviron:
>   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>   SHELL=/bin/bash
>  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-21.58~alps4-generic
>  RelatedPackageVersions:
>   xserver-xorg 1:7.4+3ubuntu10
>   libgl1-mesa-glx 7.6.0-1ubuntu4
>   libdrm2 2.4.14-1ubuntu1
>   xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.0-1ubuntu2.1
>   xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.12.99+git20090929.7968e1fb-0ubuntu1
>  SourcePackage: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
>  Uname: Linux 2.6.31-21-generic i686
>  XorgConf:
>   Section "InputDevice"
>    Identifier "Macintosh mouse button emulation"
>    Driver "synaptics"
>    Option "SHMConfig" "true"
>   EndSection
>  dmi.bios.date: 12/04/2009
>  dmi.bios.vendor: Insyde Corp.
>  dmi.bios.version: F.22
>  dmi.board.asset.tag: Base Board Asset Tag
>  dmi.board.name: 3656
>  dmi.board.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
>  dmi.board.version: 44.1D
>  dmi.chassis.type: 10
>  dmi.chassis.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
>  dmi.chassis.version: N/A
>  dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnInsydeCorp.:bvrF.22:bd12/04/2009:svnHewlett-Packard:pnHPPaviliondm3NotebookPC:pvr0486110000241F00110320000:rvnHewlett-Packard:rn3656:rvr44.1D:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct10:cvrN/A:
>  dmi.product.name: HP Pavilion dm3 Notebook PC
>  dmi.product.version: 0486110000241F00110320000
>  dmi.sys.vendor: Hewlett-Packard
>  fglrx: Not loaded
>  system:
>   distro:             Ubuntu
>   architecture:       i686kernel:             2.6.31-21-generic
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.