Thanks for this great patch, Seth! The actual patch works perfect for my
setup (Dell latitude E5510, ubuntu natty, 2.6.38-11-generic).

Though, I took notice of Vladimirs observations regarding suspend mode
(comment #344). Unfortunately when your module is installed I got now
and then hung in suspend mode. I did not recognize this behaviour before
installing your patch. So, the patch works great (sensitivity is a bit
high for my liking) but I had to switch back, cause hanging in suspend
is more annoying for me than tap-click activated. Now suspend-resume
works again safe. Any idea how this could be related to your patch?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Alps touchpad is recognized but synaptics clients and scrolling do not
  work