What is the status on this bug? NVIDIA acknowledged an inefficency on their end
which I believe they have applied since then but according to them, fixing
firefox would greatly improve performance:
"Thanks for reporting this. I took a look today, and it appears that Firefox is
using an enormous pixmap that exceeds the GPU's maximum rendering dimensions,
causing software fallbacks. While we will attempt to make it as fast as
possible, performance would be greatly improved if Firefox would render using
surfaces that fit within the maximum renderable dimensions."
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152295&page=1

As someone else had mentioned before scrolling on this page is very
slow:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/550625?comments=all

Given the comments from the NVIDIA developer I zoomed out that page in
firefox hoping it would 'fit within the maximum renderable dimensions"
and indeed scrolling was smooth again.

The NVIDIA developer most be right if it works much better by zooming
out plus I can see the system load spike very high when it 'defaults to
software fallbacks'.

which is subscribed to linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24 in Ubuntu.

  Extremely slow Ajax/Javascript/CSS performance in Firefox 3 using non-
  free nvidia-glx-new