I have exactly the same issue on my core i5-2520M with hd 3000 sandy
bridge graphics.

These artifacts are very annoying and only occur at the edges of
transparent textures, like you will see on the screenchot.

Same thing occurs in Osmos, but only edges of all textures are visible.

Next thing: when i use the minecraft internal screenshot feature, the
screenshot captures the texture error, but for the next ~10 seconds the
graphics are COMPLETELY normal as they should be, but after short time the
sky-colored artifacts shine through again.

** Attachment added: "Minecraft texture errors on hd 3000"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/829086/+attachment/2544122/+files/2011-10-14_17.20.30.png

  Artifacts in 3D with Sandy Bridge