This was my experience with a fresh install of 11.10 release version on GeForce
7300 LE :-
First login was fine, but graphical actions very sluggish (several seconds to
move a window). I presume this was the nouveau driver since it was not 2D
desktop.

When prompted to install a driver for the video card, I selected the
recommended one. After reboot this resulted in the usual garbled black
and white boot splash and after login and a blank desktop. So I reboot
and logged in with Ubuntu 2D, then selected the latest "Post release"
driver. After reboot, the same garbled black and white boot splash, but
the 3D desktop works. However the consoles (Ctrl+Alt+F1 etc) still do
not work. You just get a blank screen, and returning via Ctrl+Alt+F7
gives a totally corrupted screen.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia, 7300, 7400] display freeze when using unity desktop