Seth, thanks for your extensive feedback regarding the trackstick.

Perceived behavior after patch application is that it's hard to point
exact pixels. It feels like the cursor is too fast no matter how gently
the trackstick is pushed.

Changing the acceleration factor does actually have expected effect,
i.e. changed acceleration. However no matter whether the acceleration is
set towards higher values or lower values, one feels a significant  (and
constant) loss of "pointing precision" in the pointer while it is
controlled via trackstick.

If I understood correctly various touchpad revisions installed by
different manufacturers report the same signature thus one has to use
very compromise settings because the driver doesn't know which touchpad
revision is installed (unless e.g. DMI table is inspected for retrieving
more information about laptop). If it is the case I can understand it
must be pain to satisfy everyone.

Would you mind mentioning some few hints for anyone willing to poke
around the trackstick sensitivity in the source code coming with the
debian package of the driver?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Alps touchpad is recognized but synaptics clients and scrolling do not
  work