Same here: A dual screen setup, Ubuntu 11.10, nvidia geforce 9300, the exact
same message reported by James Stewart appears after each login (except it's
"with output at 1680x1050@50Hz").
The only un-commented line in my xorg.conf (created with the nvidia X server
settings tool) referring to some screen size that I could find is this:
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1200 +1680+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select
+0+0"

1680x1050 is the native (and configured) resolution of the thinkpad own
display, 1920x1200 is the 2nd display's resolution.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Could not apply stored configuration for monitors