Having upgraded to the 3.0.0-13-generic #22-Ubuntu kernel (without the
RS690M patch) after the security release a couple of days ago, I realise
that there is really no improvement on my HP Compaq 6715b whether I run
Alex's patch or not.  The graphics are very lagged in both Unity 3D and
2D.

For an example of this, pull down the far-right (what is the name for
that, settings?) from the top bar and move your mouse pointer up and
down over the menu items.  The orange highlight bar lags substantially
behind the mouse pointer position.  The same can be observed by picking
a window up by its title bar and dragging it around the workspace.  The
mouse pointer becomes more and more detached from the title bar of the
window as you drag and the window lags behind.

Hopefully this explains the usability impact of this bug?  If there's
any more technical data I can collect from my particular RS690M
installation that would help, please just ask?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  [RS690M] No 3d acceleration in Radeon X1200 with new Gallium r300 / 3d
  drivers in 11.04 (Needs kernel quirk)