Update: I reinstalled Ubuntu, and switched to 32 bit. The problem is
gone now. I figured it out by running both 32 bit and 64 bit off a flash
drive, and only the 64 bit version had the problem. However, it's not a
64 bit Java issue, as my other machine is 64 bit and has no problems. So
it's probably the 64 bit graphics driver. In general, I've found the
intel graphics to work much better with Unity than others, so this is a
surprise. The problem may have been present in 11.04 as well, since my

  Corruption of images in Java applets after update to Oneiric