I didn't try 9.10 alpha3 yet, but with kernel update to 2.6.28-14.47 it works
mostly, means, while booting nearly 95% of the cases the kdm-login (x-server)
starts Korrektly. only sometimes the message "you're running in low graphics
mode and ..." appears. Then I solve the problem by choosing "console login" in
the click-box - and after some magical seconds while typing my login (on tty2)
... appears the kdm-login and everything seems "normal". weired but working. I
would set this to "95% solved" if possible :-)
It does not seem to be an "xorg-server"-problem. wrong package I think. (still
"hal" is my suspect)

--
jaunty, xserver crash on startup, toshiba tecra m1
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-trident in ubuntu.