Very sorry about the delay in getting back to you..

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 23:02 +0000, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Are you still having this issue?

Haven't seen it in many months (maybe a year?) at this point.  I don't
know whether it was resolved in a more recent X update.  This may be
fixed.

> Fwiw, the change in 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.5 simply fixes a null deref issue;
> not something likely to cause an X freeze.  However, you could try
> downgrading xserver to an earlier version just to be absolutely certain.
>
> Issues related to unblanking screen more generally are due to faults in
> the power management settings.  So I would suspect gnome-power-manager
> or the kernel to be more likely culprits.
>
> ** Changed in: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

To answer your earlier question, yes, using compiz, and still running
10.04, will probably upgrade to 11.10 "soon".

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/

  X Freezes when un-blanking screen