Log file from a failed session. Several notes about this file:

-- you will see some vague evidence for another graphics adapter in the
log; its an nvidia at pci 4:0:0  Please note the mga problem occurs even
when the nvidia card is removed  from the system ... I checked!

-- Note that the xorg.conf file uses a stanza indicating that VideoRam
32768   This is required; without this, I get the following oddball
behaviour: early device probe prints out that the card has only 2 MB
video ram; then just a little while later, the video bios is read, and
reports that the card has 32 MB ram. Later still, during video mode
selection, it rejects all modes requiring anything more than 2MB (i.e.
it rejects almost all modes) i.e. it behaves as if it "forgot" that the
32 MB was reported.

** Attachment added: "xorg log file"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-mga/+bug/900111/+attachment/2619950/+files/Xorg.0.log

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-mga in Ubuntu.

  X server on Matrox g550 is all black (no output)