Yes, I have also this issue on Fujitsu E8420 BUT I have managed to get it
working and wanted to publish my  solution here.
Im running ubuntu 11.10 and I have installed that additional driver #2, NVIDIA
accelerated graphics driver (post-release updates) (version 173-updates)

So This is what I did to get screen brightness buttons working:

I run "sudo nvidia-xconfig " to generate good xorg.conf file.
then I added this following line to there under device
"Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1""
like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
EndSection

And I hava my xorg.conf as an attachment:

** Attachment added: "Working copy of xorg.conf for Fujitsu E8420 with fn
screen brightnes"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/562005/+attachment/2651761/+files/xorg.conf

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Backlight controls of laptops with NVIDIA NVS and Quadro FX 880M GPUs
  no longer function while using proprietary drivers