I've possibly been hit by the same bug... not been able to track it down much
yet. It may be different because the symtoms are different:
Everything starts fine, then inactive applications stop responding to mouse
clicks. Active applications vary, sometimes fine, sometimes they don't work
either, at least twice the only thing that worked was scrolling down with the
mouse wheel (couldn't click or scroll back up).
Keyboard input has always been fine.

I noticed the OP has a thinkpad X61; my machine is a T61 so may well
have similar hardware. I'm running jaunty with latest updates; nvidia
binary driver.

Still got to work out what's actually causing this; did think it was kde
4.2, but xfce had the same problem.

--
Xorg not responding to input
which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.