A quick test this morning didn't show the issue on 11.10 (Chrome tab can
be moved fine), but I've currently got Compiz disabled and the current
Linux version of Chrome doesn't appear to have the translucent tab
effect.

I'll check with Compiz enabled tonight and close if I can't reproduce
anymore.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  nouveau driver locks up screen on certain operations