This bug report conflates several distinct bugs, some of which are
fixed.

For a period of time in oneiric lightdm was attempting to set extended
displays and was doing so incorrectly, resulting in a corrupted external
display.  We believe this particular issue is resolved in the oneiric
release.

In some of the dupe bugs it is mentioned that lightdm mirrors the
external display, resulting in a smaller resolution on both screens,
such as 1024x768.  This is a known issue, bug #874241.

Jane mentions in her bug report some irregularities in the display when
switching from the login session to the user session. These are
transitory and go away once logged in, but they look poor.  This only
occurs when the logged in session differs from the login screen and X
needs to perform a modeset; unfortunately this is a typical situation
for docking stations or laptops with external monitors.  I will undupe
Jane's bug #850885 to focus on that part of the problem.

For Daniel's issue, it's hard to say what's going on there given only a
screenshot, but the conditions of reproducing it are completely
different than the other bugs (i.e. on logout rather than login), and it
is with a very different driver setup than everyone else so it's likely
to be completely unrelated.  Daniel, if you can still reproduce it under
Precise please file a new bug report.

Since I think the crux of this original report (and the balance of the
dupes) was the first listed issue, which should be solved now, I'm going
to close out this bug report.  If anyone thinks they have this same
problem, we'd ask that you file *new* bug reports (`ubuntu-bug lightdm`,
or `ubuntu-bug xorg` as appropriate) so we get properly up to date logs.
Screenshots or screen photos are very helpful as well.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  Greeter not displayed correctly on multi monitor setup