Good news.

I tried the Unity 5.0.0 staging PPA and am extremely pleased with the
results. Now on today's daily build, almost everything is flawless.
Scrolling is almost as smooth as it is on Windows 7, and window movement
is fluid (when sync to vblank is disabled in compiz). However, after a
while of use the window dragging becomes slightly choppy. It's annoying,
but the desktop is perfectly functional and mostly acceptable at this
point.

Verdict: apart from some window drag lag after some time of use,
everything running is perfectly and much better than my Ubuntu 11.04
install.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  Desktop performance (2d) much worse than expected.