The included synaptics.conf file works on ubuntu 11.04/11.10/12.04, and
in arch/opensuse/fedora/backtrack & jolios for all synaptic pads I've
come across. Not all the settings are necessary for two-finger scroll,
but it does allow the setting into unity/gnome-control-center to
function properly and you can switch between side scroll and two-finger
scrolling. I know this won't be fixed for 12.04 but it's a perm fix and
this works across the board so far over the last year for me on dozens
of installs

** Attachment added: "Not all the settings would be needed, those that do could
go into 51-synaptics-quirks.conf"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/849461/+attachment/2683628/+files/50-synaptics.conf

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Two finger scrolling: Synaptics settings have to be adapted after
  installation