On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 03:06:49AM -0000, Max Payne wrote:
> "apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-sis" has the following output:
>
> xserver-xorg-video-sis:
>   Installed: 1:0.10.3-3
>   Candidate: 1:0.10.3-3build2
>   Version table:
>      1:0.10.3-3build2 0
>         500 http://pt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
>  *** 1:0.10.3-3 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>

> I'm guessing this means I have version 1:0.10.3-3 of the sis driver
> installed, is that the one I should have ?

Hmm, I thought perhaps you did not have it installed, which you do.
It is odd that X is selecting -vesa instead of -sis for your HW.

Why don't you go ahead and do a full system update and dist-upgrade.  We
just uploaded a new X stack monday.  The candidate -sis version is the
version that works with this new X stack.

I do not think that updating is going to fix the -sis problem, but you
never know.

After that, reboot a couple times and see if the problem still occurs.