Public bug reported:

The Primary (internal) display of my laptop is blank if an external display is
connected when the laptop is started. The loader and Greeter will be shown the
external display, and the extended desktop will be shown on the external
monitor as expected.
However, the Launcher is not visible, as it is located on the internal display.
When this first occurred, I hot-plug disconnected the external display, to try
and force the desktop onto the internal display. A fuzzy white grid pattern
then started creeping in from the edges of the laptop display. To recover from
the problem, the external display had to be reconnected, restoring the previous
(incomplete) view of the extended desktop.

Starting the laptop, with the external display not connected, the
internal laptop display shows fine. Hot-plug connecting the display once
the machine is booted also works as expected, allowing both displays to
be used.

This seems to be a regression in P (12.04 development branch), as this
setup was previously working fine in Oneiric.

Setup:
Acer Aspire 4830T laptop: Intel HD Graphics 3000
VGA connected LCD monitor

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: multimonitor udp

  Primary display is blank if external display is connected at boot-up