I have just tested this issue and made a recording. It's very
interesting. I started a stopwatch and just made small circular mouse
movements. I noted that almost every 10 seconds (around the 8 second
mark) the mouse will get stuck, as I described, but the stopwatch clock
ALSO gets stuck. Then I played the recording back and could clearly see
the stopping clock. But during the recording I was not moving my mouse
and only the recording would show the freeze. Then I tried moving my
mouse at the same the recording is playing. I was clearly able to see
that every 10 seconds (around the 3 second mark) the recording would
freeze, and then again at 8 seconds the actual recording will freeze as
well. But that was expected as that was whatI was recording.

So in conclusion it seems that if you are moving your mouse about almost
every 10 seconds the entire screen freezes for a microsecond, this is
easily repeatable as described above. Also tried it while playing a
youtube video. Play video, not moving mouse, all fine, move mouse around
and every 10 seconds video lags.

 Although it doesn't seem like the trigger of the timer is the start of
the mouse moving. I could be typing something and want to move the mouse
and immediately it gets stuck. It's as if there is a background process
thats constantly running and at regular intervals causes if freeze only
if the mouse happens to move at that time.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  continuous jerky mouse movements while using nouveau driver in 12.04