Just to be clear: forcing audio off every time the external display is
configured, by using "xrandr ... --set audio off", does make it work
reliably every time so far.

What I tested previously, and what did not work to turn it off just once
and then use the system's normal configuration method (eg fn-f7), I
guess because that is effectively configuring the monitor with auto
audio.

So it does seem that the problem is related to audio; in my particular
situation being able to force it off all the time would at least hide
the problem.  I don't care about sending audio to my monitor, but I
suppose others do, so a patch that just turns it off across the board
probably wouldn't be accepted.

I guess the next thing to work out is:

 * audio actually can't work on this channel with this resolution (not enough
bandwidth?)
 * there's a bug in this monitor to do with audio at high resolution?
 * there's some other bug in the kernel about dp audio?
 * ...?

  [arrandale] desktop is messed up with external monitors (x86_64)