Unfortunately blackthunder's method is not working for me (IFL90)

Recently I've tried two distros (namely ARCH and Fedora) and BOTH have
the same problem as Ubuntu. Therefore problems seems to be in kernel
itself

I've managed to dig out that compal and other VBI have graphic card BIOS
(vbios) saved on mainboard instead of card itself. It would explain why
some 8600M works while others don't.

Source: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=110138

The same post gives some interesting ideas which I'll try soon... best
bet is "pci=bios" in grub kernel invoke

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  PCI Race Condition with COMPAL FL90