> Well this problem is quite old : it became obvious with Ubuntu 10.10 (I
> couldn't even start a live-CD or USB) until now.
> But I also had an issue with Ubuntu 10.04 : the use of compiz (by enabling
> the 3D effects) used to create random freezes. The workaround to these
> freezes was
> to install "compiz fusion icon", to check "indirect rendering" in its
> options, and to add it to startup applications. I can't say if it was related
> to our
> current problem. Most probably ?

Nope, I can safely say that is a different issue. The current issue
prevents X from starting up an accelerated driver at all, and so compiz
would simply not work (or perhaps only through incredibly slow swrast).
So I believe you would have noticed the issue even then.

> I would be glad to try any new kernel (or other changes) when I have
time, but I'm not an advanced user so please explain the method(s) step
by step...

We need to start compiling kernels and performing a bisection using the
10.04 kernel as the last known good commit. Can you track down a guide
for compiling a kernel on ubuntu and simply try replacing your current
one with one from git clone
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git?

  Natty&Oneiric - intel 82945G/GZ graphics card - Intel driver fails